I solemnly vow to be a vegetarian for a month. There, I said it. I wrote it. Vegetables, here I come.
I was a deer in the headlights, standing in the organic whole foods section of my grocery store this weekend. Armed with a grocery list of yummy looking vegetarian recipes, I was creating my new vegan pantry. I spent an hour and a half scanning the shelves for obscure-to-me products.
There’s such a thing as meatless bacon? Sure, why not. The soy yogurt could be tasty. Extra-firm silken tofu, now that’s scary. Four cheese ravioli, now that’s what I’m talking about!
My favorite meals are steak and sushi, but I’m committing to being a vegetarian for a month.
Can I actually do this?
Why Would I Ever? For health reasons, and I’m trying to lose my baby weight. No, I’m not that concerned about killing animals, I just want to be healthy and fit into my skinny jeans. I recently applied for a new life insurance policy, and found my cholesterol at elevated levels. Yikes. It’s time to take action.
The Plan. This diet is simple. Eat a whole foods, plant-based diet, while minimizing the consumption of refined foods, added salt, and added fats. In other words, I’ll eat plants. Plus, I’ll take a B12 supplement and be sure to get some sun for vitamin D.
Stress-free. I’ll eliminate animal-based products from my diet but not obsess over it. If a tasty squash soup has chicken stock in it, I won’t stress. I’ll definitely cheat and have some cheese in a few meals.
Today, I start day 1 of my new diet. For breakfast, I had oatmeal with cranberries and nuts topped with vanilla soy milk. Good so far! On Tuesdays, I’ll report back to you how I did.
Join me in your own healthy eating challenge! Go vegan all the way, or just try cutting out meat for two meals a day. Your call. At the end of the month, one reader will receive The Happy Herbivore Cookbook: Over 175 Delicious Fat-Free and Low-Fat Vegan Recipes.
(1) Comment below with your goal or paste a link to your own blog stating your healthy eating goal. (2) On Tuesdays, I’ll post an update on how we did that week. Leave a comment or link to your post on how you did too. At the end of the month, the winner will be chosen out of readers who posted all 4 weeks and send you the book.
In case you are wondering. There are different types of veggie eaters:
- Ovo-vegetarian diet includes eggs but not dairy products
- Lacto-vegetarian diet includes dairy products but not eggs
- Ovo-lacto vegetarian diet includes both eggs and dairy products
- Vegan, or strict vegetarian, diet excludes all animal products, including eggs, dairy, and honey
- Campbell, T. Colin; Thomas M. Campbell II (2006-06-01). The China Study: The Most Comprehensive Study of Nutrition Ever Conducted and the Startling Implications for Diet, Weight Loss and Long-Term Health (p. 7). Perseus Books Group. Kindle Edition.