Journey to become a strong and courageous woman through the book of Joshua. Please forgive the unpolished product, this is a study in process. Here it is uncut and unfinished.
DAY 5: WHO IS JOSHUA?
Today we continue to look at the man Joshua and see how God used Moses to prepare him to be the future leader of Israel.
1) Read Numbers 27: 18 – 23 and visualize the Lord preparing Joshua for leadership. Note your observations below.
2) Read Deuteronomy 34:9 and list 3 things you learn about Joshua.
3) “8 Then Amalek came and fought against Israel at Rephidim.9 So Moses said to Joshua, “Choose men for us and go out, fight against Amalek. Tomorrow I will station myself on the top of the hill with the staff of God in my hand.” 10 Joshua did as Moses [told him, and fought against Amalek; and Moses, Aaron, and Hur went up to the top of the hill. 11 So it came about when Moses held his hand up, that Israel prevailed, and when he let his hand down, Amalek prevailed. 12 But Moses’ hands were heavy. Then they took a stone and put it under him, and he sat on it; and Aaron and Hur supported his hands, one on one side and one on the other. Thus his hands were steady until the sun set. 13 So Joshua overwhelmed Amalek and his people with the edge of the sword. 14 Then the Lord said to Moses, ‘Write this in a book as a memorial and recite it to Joshua, that I will utterly blot out the memory of Amalek from under heaven.’” Exodus 17:8-14
a) Who did Moses ask to lead the fight against Amalek?
b) To whom did God ask Moses to recite the account?
4) “12 Now the Lord said to Moses, “Come up to Me on the mountain and remain there, and I will give you the stone tablets with the law and the commandment which I have written for their instruction.” 13 So Moses arose with Joshua his servant, and Moses went up to the mountain of God.” Exodus 24:12-13
a) What was Moses going to the mountain to receive?
b) Who went with Moses?
5) Finish reading the last chapter of Deuteronomy (34) to put yourself in context to where the Israelites are when the book opens. Note your observations about Joshua below.
GOD PREPARED JOSHUA
The people of Israel had been led by Moses since they came out of Egypt. Even back then, we can watch the Lord developing Joshua as a leader. When Israel was camped in the wilderness at Rephidim (Exodus 17:8-16), Moses commanded Joshua to battle the Amalekites. While Moses stood on the top of the hill with his staff raised, Joshua prevailed, when Moses’s hands dropped, Amelek prevailed. Joshua witnessed the power of the Lord defeating Israel’s enemy.
When Moses went up the mountain to receive the ten commandments, who there with him? Joshua his servant (Exodus 24:13). There he saw Moses reflecting the glory of the Lord on his face. I wonder if he actually overheard the voice of God too? Unfortunately, the bible doesn’t tell us that, but regardless, Joshua was beside Moses serving, learning, and watching the greatest prophet in Israel. “Since that time no prophet has risen in Israel like Moses, whom the LORD knew face to face. (Deuteronomy 34:10). Joshua had an awesome mentor.
God had spent decades allowing Joshua to be trained from Moses. Now the Lord had given them a new leader. Joshua was commissioned before Moses and all of Israel. The man was ready to lead.
GOD PREPARES YOU
Think back on your life story. Has God been developing you for something? God may not be preparing you to lead a people like Joshua, but He does have a plan to use for His glory. God uses all things in our life to prepare us for a purpose, His purpose (Romans 8:28). Has He prepared you for such a time as this? Write down a prayer asking God to open your eyes to see what He has allowed you to experience and to what purpose that may be for. This prayer is a huge request, it may take days or even years for you to see the answer. But that doesn’t mean you can’t start asking God now to show you. The book of James tells us you have not if you ask not (James 4:2), so go ahead, be bold, and pray that prayer.
See Day 4, What is The Strong and Courageous Woman?, Day 6
Question: How was God prepared you for a task in your life? Share with us.