I think I can, I think I can. I’m a carnivore turned vegan for the month, and that’s my mantra during these middle-miles. If you’ve ever run a marathon, you can understand that miles 16 through 20 are the hardest. Well, I’m there. My feet are pounding the pavement, and I want water, I mean, meat! I’m committed to seeing this through, darn it.
Lessons Learned. I’ve picked up a strategy on how to order at restaurants and grocery shop. It’s important to get your protein in when eliminating meats, eggs, and dairy. I load my diet with protein stuffers just in case I’m at an eatery that doesn’t provide vegan-protein.
Here are my favorite vegan eats:
- Protein sources: soy products, soy milk, Boca Burgers, MorningStar Crumbles, tofu, beans, beans, beans
- Snacks: peanut butter on whole wheat toast, mixed nuts, fruit, humus, soy cream cheese, rice cakes, wheat crackers
- Breakfast: grits, raisin toast, granola, soy yogurt
- Mexican: bean burritos, guacamole, chips and salsa (my all-time favorite snack), Spanish rice, pico de gallo, tortilla soup (sans chicken and cheese), spinach and mushroom quessadillas (with soy cheese)
- Chinese: plain fried rice, tofu curry dishes, wonton broth, mixed vegetables, vegetable dumplings or wontons or spring rolls
- Japanese: asparagus and avocado rolls, noodle dishes, seaweed salad, miso soup, edemame, ginger salad
- Italian: spinach lasagna (not vegan with the cheese), spaghetti with soy meatballs, Portobello mushrooms
More Pleasant Surprises. I’m still pleasantly surprised by the delightful dishes I’ve sampled at restaurants. My all-time favorite veggie burger at Steve’s Uptown. This yummy sandwich has Portobelo mushrooms, caramelized onions, with just a little bit of corn relish, all served on a focaccia bun. De-lish!
I couldn’t resist another visit to P.F. Chang’s for the vegetarian dumplings. I also had coconut curry vegetables and the eggplant. All wonderful.
So, what’s your favorite vegetarian or vegan dish?
In case you are wondering. There are different types of veggie eaters:
- Ovo-vegetarian diet includes eggs but not dairy products
- Lacto-vegetarian diet includes dairy products but not eggs
- Ovo-lacto vegetarian diet includes both eggs and dairy products
- Vegan, or strict vegetarian, diet excludes all animal products, including eggs, dairy, and honey